Sunday, September 25, 2011

Macedonian days...

OK, a few have asked what a typical day is like here.  Unfortunately I spend the majority of M-F in language and culture class (for the first ~3 months) - so, not too riveting.  But here's a photo recap of (most) of what I did this past weekend.

Friday, after hiking with my 3 PC classmates in the afternoon, my host family kicked off Ajvar weekend. Ajvar is a traditional Balkan pepper sauce that every family makes together.  It begins with roasting a *!&^-load of red bell peppers, then manually peeling, de-stemming and de-seeding them.
Friday night ~11:30...
Saturday morning I woke up still smelling of peppers so I decided to go for a run, otherwise known as my time to speak English with myself.  Unfortunately Kratovo is situated in a mountain valley, thus the only way outta town is UP:



After that beat down, it was back to Ajvar-mania.  The next step was to grind the peppers and soak them in sunflower oil:

Then it was stew time... (check the bad-axe)...
That's my host dad sweating over the HOT stove, this went on for nearly 6 hours.
So while this was going on I moseyed on over to the bazaar...
*just a sweet pic I took of my village on the way to the bazaar.
At the bazaar I scored some sweet Turkish house slippers.

After only a couple more hours of roasting, it was time to jar the Ajvar...(note the sweet slippers)


Saturday night it was time to experience one of the Macedonian passions - Handball.  So, at the local gymnasium:
(we lost)
...Then I went out to the disco with my host sister and friends (sorry, no photos).

Sunday was more hiking - it's the thing to do in Kratovo, Macedonia!



Here's to a more exciting next post.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Faron, looks really cool there, BTW you look like you need a haircut, why not grab an “AX” from your “host Dad” and trim that mop (LOL).. Disco, is that a tad 80’s? Love to hear more on that (do you dance in the slippers?), hope your happy and safe, looks like your fine. The entire office miss's you and sends their regards...not me of course, because I am strong like that (wink/LOL)…

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. That moonshine looks like it is going to be spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your host dad, in jorts wielding his ax... very Hipster Urban Lumberjack. You sure you're not just sending us dispatches from Brooklyn?

    ReplyDelete